- Urban geography
- Urban and rural planning
- 1993.9-1990.6, Undergraduate, Economic Geography Major, Department of Geography, Sun Yat-sen University, China; Bachelor Degree.
- 1990.9-1993.1, Post graduate, Human Geography Major, Department of Geography, Sun Yat-sen university, China.Master Degree.
- 1986.3-1996.6, Ph.D. Student, Human Geography Major, Department of Geography, Sun Yat-sen University, China. Ph.D. Degree.
- 1996.7-1997.6: Assistant Professor, Center for Urban and Regional Studies, Sun Yat-sen University, China.
- 1997.7-2001.6: Lectures, Center for Urban and Regional Studies, Sun Yat-sen University；China.
- 2001.7-2002.10: Associate Professor, Center for Urban and Regional Studies, Sun Yat-sen University, China.
- 1999.4-2000.4: Post Doctoral research fellow, Asian Institute, the University of British Columbia, Canada.
- 2000.5-2000.10: Doctoral research fellow, Department of Geography, the University of Montreal, Canada.
- 2002.10-2006.12:Associate Professor, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, School of Geography and Planning, Sun Yat-sen university, China.
- 2004.6-8: Lecture Professor, Department of Geography, University of Cologne, Germany.
- 2004.10-11:Visiting Professor, Department of geography, the Chinese University of Hong Kong
- 2006.12. At present，Professor, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, School of Geography and Planning, Sun Yat-sen university, China.
- 1999.4-2000.4, Post-Doctoral research fellow, Asian Institute, the University of British Columbia, Canada.
- 2000.5-2000.09, Doctoral research fellow, Department of Geography, the University of Montreal, Canada.
- 2004.6-8, Visiting professor, Department of Geography, University of Cologne, Germany.
- 2004.10-11, Visiting Professor, Department of geography, the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- 2008.11-12, Visiting professor, Department of Geography, University of Basel, Switzerland.
- 2009.11-12, Visiting professor, Department of Geography, University of Basel, Switzerland.
- 2010.12, Visiting professor, Department of Geography, University of Basel, Switzerland.
- 2011.12, Visiting professor, Department of Geography, University of Basel, Switzerland.
- 2014.09 – 2015.03, Visiting professor, Department of Geography, University of Cologne, Germany.
National Research Project in Charge
- (1) Comparative Research on the Industrial Development and Spatial Agglomeration of towns in Pearl Delta and Yangtze River Delta Regions. Supported by the National Science Foundation for Young Scholars of China. 1999.1-2001.12 (Grant No. 49801006)
- (2)”China’s urban community development and planning in the context of institutional transformation”, funded by China’s National Natural Science Foundation. 2005-2007. (Grant No. 40471039)
- (3) “Analytic and detection techniques of the interactive system of urbanization and environmental change” (Project No. 2007BAC03A11-03). [As part of Project “The Detection and Analytic Techniques of Humanistic Factors in Global Environmental Change”. Supported by The 11th Five-Year-Plan Supporting Project of the Ministry of Science and Technology of China. 2007.10-2009.10. (Project No. 2007BAC03A11)
- (4) “China’s informal urbanization: dynamics, space and governance”, funded by China’s National Natural Science Foundation. 2008-2010. (Grant No. 40771066)
- (5) Informal spaces in urban China: characteristics, mechanism, transformation and governance. Doctoral Training Program Project of China’s Educational Ministry, 2010-2012. (Grant No. 20090171110039)
- (6) Globalization of China’s Cities: Process, Pattern, Dynamics and Space. Supported by Major Program of National Natural Science Foundation of China. 2012-2016. (Grant No. 41130747)
- (7) Diversified Development of World Cities: Structure, Process, Space and Place —Comparative Study of cities of China and Germany. Supported by the Major International (Regional) Joint Research Program of China (Grant No.41320104001)
International Joint Research Project (in Charge of the Chinese Part)
- (1) “Governing the Emerging Megacities: Water, Public Health and Quality of Life”. Funded by BMBF (German Educational and Scientific Ministry), 2005-2007.
- (2) “Megacities – Megachallenge: Informal Dynamics of Global Change” (PRD3, PRD6), funded by the German Research Foundation, cooperating with the University of Cologne, 2007-20012.
- (3) “The dynamics of peri-urbanization in the Pearl River Delta: emerging land use pattern, urban villages and their linkages to global mechanisms”. Funded by the German Research Foundation, cooperating with the Technology University of Berlin, 2009-2010.
- (4) The development and planning of cities of the Pearl River Delta Region. Funded by the Swiss Research Foundation.2009-2010.
Consultant Projects in charge
- (1) “Master planning of Guitou Town, Ruyuan County”. Funded by Guitou Township Government. 1997-1998.
- (2) “Master planning of Xiegang Town, Dongguan City”. Funded by Xiegang Township Government. 2000-2001.
- (3) “Master planning of Renhe Town, Baiyun District, Guangzhou City”. Funded by Renhe Township Government. 2000-2001.
- (4) “Master planning of Changjiang Town, Renhua County”. Funded by Changjiang Township Government. 2001-2002.
- (5) “Strategic planning of Shaoguan urban development”. Funded by Shaoguan Municipal Government. 2002.
- (6)“Research on the urbanization in Longgang District, Shenzhen City”. Funded by the Development and Reform Bureau, Longgang District, Shenzhen City. 2004-2005.
- (7) “Strategic planning of Liaobu Township, Dongguan City”. Funded by Liaobu Township Government. 2004-2005.
- (8) The study on the developmental integration of Nanbao development Zone of Tangshan City. Commissioned by Guangzhou Hefuhuihuang real estate consulting Co., Ltd. 2006.
- (9) The guidebook of residential community construction of Guangzhou city. Commissioned by Guangzhou Construction Committee. 2006-2007.
- (10) Research on the policy of construction and management of public parking lot in Guangzhou City. Commissioned by Guangzhou Transport Committee.2006-2007.
- (11) Research on the development of the economic collaboration zone of Shengfang- Yangfen Port of Baizhou City, Heibei Province. Commissioned by Guangzhou Hefuhuihuang real estate consulting Co., Ltd. 2006-2007.
- (12) “Coordinated development of the urban clusters in the Big Pearl River Delta”. Funded by the Guangdong Provincial Construction Bureau. 2006-2007.
- (13) Economic analysis and management of Industry Transfer Zone’s land development in Zhenjiang district, Shaoguan City. Funded by the Zhenjiang District Government. 2007.
- (14) Spatial configuration strategy of urban resources in Futian district, Shenzhen City. Commissioned by China City Designing Studying Institute Shenzhen Branch.2007-2008.
- (15) Urban development strategy of Tangxia Town, Dongguan City. Funded by Research Center of Geographical Information and Planning of Dongguan City. 2007-2008.
- (16) Plan of Cultural, Educational, Sanitation and Sport Facilities in Shaoguan City. Funded by Shaoguan Urban and Rural Planning Bureau. 2007-2008.
- (17) Standard of Resident Community Construction in Yuexiu District, Guangzhou City. Funded by Yuexiu district government.
- (18) Research on How to Build Guangzhou into a More Livable City. Funded by the Development Research Center of Guangdong Provincial Government. 2008.
- (19) Strategic planning of Dongguan-Shaoguan Industry Transfer Park. Funded by Shaoguan Urban and Rural Planning Bureau. 2008.
- (20) The renewal strategy of urban villages in Liwan district, Guangzhou City. Funded by Liwan District Construction Bureau. 2008-2009.
- (21) Research on the Community Planning of Longgang District, Shenzhen City. Funded by the New Urban Planning and Construction Company. 2008-2009.
- (22) Standard of Detailed Planning Preparation of Panyu District. Funded by Guangzhou City, Panyu Branch of Guangzhou Urban Planning Bureau, 2009
- (23) “Comparative Research on Guangzhou and other selected World Cities”. Funded by the Guangzhou Municipal Government. 2009-2010.
- (24) Old Village Renewal of Gaocun Beijiao Township. Funded by the “Three Olds Renewal Office of Beijiao Township, Shunde. 2010.
- (25) Old Industrial Area’s Renewal of Beijiao Township. Funded by the “Three Olds Renewal Office of Beijiao Township, Shunde. 2009-2010.
- (26) Urbanization Plan of Shaoguan City in the 12th Five Year Plan. Funded by the Bureau of Housing and Urban & Rural Construction, Shaoguan City, 2010.
- (27) Five Year Plan of Constructing Livable Urban and Rural Areas. Funded by the Bureau of Housing and Urban & Rural Construction, Shaoguan City, 2010.
- (28) Town and rural regeneration planning in Wengyuan County, Shaoguan City. Funded by Research Center of Uban Planning of Shaoguan City. 2010
- (29) Spatial Planning of Zhuhai’s Economic Sectors under Globalization. Funded by the Science and Technology Bureau of Zhuhai City.2010.
- (30) Comparative research on Affordable Housing System in selected World Cities: what can Guangzhou learn from the other cities? Funded by the Guangzhou Municipal Government. 2011-2012.
- (31) Comparative research on land use of World Cities: what can Guangzhou learn from the other cities? Funded by the Guangzhou Municipal Government. 2011-2012
- (32) Planning of coordinating zone of the Industry Transfer Park of Shixing County. Funded by the Bureau of Housing and Urban-Rural Planning. 2011-2012.
- (33)Detailed Planning of Enterprises Moving Zone of Shixing County. Funded by Shixing County Government, 2011-2012.
- (34) Research on How to Balance the interests between the villages in Dongguan City Guangdong Province. Funded by the Municipal Government of Dongguan City. 2012
- (35)Land Use Strategic Plan of Nansha New District, Guangzhou City. Funded by Housing and Land Administration Bureau, Guangzhou City, 2012.
- (36) Research on urban planning theories and practice of advanced model cities. Funded by Gauzngdong Provincial Bureau of Urban Planning. 2012.
- (37) “How to make the Pearl River Delta into the Global Level Urban Cluster”. Funded by the Guangdong Provincial Construction Bureau. 2011.
- (38) Historical & cultural planning of Pingshi Town, Lechang City. Funded by Shaoguan Urban and Rural Planning Bureau and Pingshi Town Government. 2012
- (39) Planning of historical & cultural towns and villages, and model villages of Renhua County. Funded by the Renhua County Construction Bureau of Residence and Urban-rural Planning and Shaoguan Urban and Rural Planning Bureau.2012.
- (40) Research on coordinated development and planning of the city, towns and villages of Shaoguan City. Funded by Shaoguan Urban and Rural Planning Bureau. 2013-2015
- (41) The developmental planning of historical streets of Shisanhang Area. Funded by Guangzhou Urban and Rural Planning Bureau. 2013.
In School of Geography and Planning
(1) Industrial Geography, 2011
(2) An introduction of Human & Economic Geography, 2012, 2013.
(3) Field work in Germany 2005, 09.
(1) An introduction of Urban Planning and architecture. 2008, 2009.
(2) Field work in Germany and Canada. 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.
Postgraduates Course (hosting)
(1) Development Theory and Geography. 2005-2009.
Postgraduates course (Participating)
(1) Theory and Practice of Urban Planning. 2006-2015. ( One Week)
(2) Theory and Methodology of Human Geography. 2005-2015. ( One week)
In SYSU (Hosting)
(1) World Geography under the background of Globalization. General Course. 2010-2012.
(1) The Revolution of Modern Technology and Marxism, Political Education for PhD Candidates, 2009-2014.
a. Papers published in English academic journals
- (1) Chen Hao-guang, Xue De-sheng. Small town development in the periphery of big cities in China. Asian Geographer, 1996(1-2):71-84.
- (2) Xue De-sheng, Yan Xiao-pei, Johnson Graham. Local government, enterprises and individuals:Economic transformation in the Pearl River Delta——A case study in Beijiao township, Shunde city. Chinese geographical science, 2001(3):211-222. (SCIE)
- (3) Zhigang Li, Laurence J.C.Ma, and Desheng Xue. An African Enclave in China: The Making of a New Transnational Urban Space. Eurasian Geography and Economics. 2009, 50(6):699-719. (SSCI)
- (4) Pamela Killian, Sabine Beisswenger, and Desheng Xue. Floating or settling down? Migrant workers and mega-urban development in China’s Pearl River Delta. Geographische Rundschau (international edition). 2010, 21(6):50-56.
- (5) Tabea Bork, Frauke Kraas, Desheng Xue, Zhigang Li. Urban Environmental Health Challenges in China’s village in the city. Geographische Zeitschrift. 2011, 99(1):16-35. (SSCI)
- (6) Kai Huang, Desheng Xue. Initial discrepancy and dissimilar process become globalized:a case study of Guangzhou. Regional Science Policy and Practice. 2013. Doi:10.1111/rsp3.12014.
- (7) Nian Su, Desheng Xue*.The Spatial Distribution of Transnational Organizations in the Cities of Mainland China. GaWC Research Bulletin 399. www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/rb/rb399.html
- (8) Gengzhi Huang, Desheng Xue* and Zhigang Li.From Revanchism to Ambivalence:The Changing Politics of Street Vending in Guangzhou. Antipode, 2014, 46(1):170-189. (SSCI)
- (9) Shenjing He and Desheng Xue. Identity Building and Communal Resistance against Land Grabs in Wukan Village, China, Current Anthropology, 2014, 55(S9):S126-137. (SSCI)
- (10) SU Nian, XUE Desheng*, John AGNEW. World cities and international organizations:Political global-city status of Chinese cities. Chinese Geographical Science, 2014, 24(3):362-374. (SCIE)
- (11) Xue Desheng, Huang G, Guan J, et al. Changing concepts of city and urban planning practices in Guangzhou (1949–2010):An approach to sustainable urban development [J]. Chinese Geographical Science, 2014, 24(5):607-619. (SCIE)
- (12) Xue Desheng, Wu F*. Failing entrepreneurial governance:From economic crisis to fiscal crisis in the city of Dongguan, China [J]. Cities, 2015, 43:10-17. (SSCI)
- (13) Desheng Xue, Gengzhi Huang*. Informality and the state’s ambivalence in the regulation of street vending in transforming Guangzhou, China. Geoforum, 2015, 62:156-165. (SSCI)
- (14) Tabea Bork-Hüffer, Birte Rafflenbeul, Frauke Kraas, Zhigang Li, Desheng Xue. Mobility and the Transiency of Social Spaces:African Merchant Entrepreneurs in China. Population, Space, and Place, 2015, [online first], onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/psp.1900/abstract. (SSCI)
b. Papers from English academic books
- (1) Chen Hao-guang, Xue De-sheng. Economic growth and spatial transition in the Pearl River Delta metropolitan area. Planning and governance of the Asian metropolis. Asian urban research network, 1995.
- (2) Xue De-sheng. Industry in Renhe town: Development and linkage. Development of small cities. Asian urban research network, 1996.
- (3) Xu Xue-qiang, Xue De-sheng. Urban development, urban planning, and planning education in China since 1978-Retrospect and prospect. Urban planning and planning education urder economic reform in China. The Center for Urban Planning and Environmental Management, University of Hong Kong, 1997.
- (4) Yan Xiao-pei, Xue De-sheng. The problems and corresponding actions in China’s urban planning education since the economic reform and open door policies in 1978. Urban planning and planning education under economic reform in China. The Center for Urban Planning and Environmental Management, University of Hong Kong, 1997.
- (5) Yan Xiaopei, Xue De-sheng, Yin Xiaoying. Research on Urbanization in China. In Liu Yanhua, Lu Dadao Cai Fang and Ge Quansheng (edts) Research on Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change in China (CNC-IHDP National Report), China Meteorological Press, 2005. 73-93.
- (6) Yan Xiaopei, Xue De-sheng, Yin Xiaoying. Urbanization Project of Chinese Human Dimensions on Global Environmental Change. In Wang Wuyi, Thomas Krafft and Frauke Kraas (edts) Global Change, Urbanization and Health, China Meteorological Press ,2006. 39-60.
- (7) Xue De-sheng, Li Zhigang, Wang Lijuan. Migrant workers and their housing in the ‘World Factory’ of the Pearl River Delta-A case study of Liaobu Township, Dongguan City. In Wang Wuyi, Thomas Krafft and Frauke Kraas (edts) Global Change, Urbanization and Health, China Meteorological Press ,2006. 209-224.
- (8) Schulz Christian, Soyez Dietrich, Xue Desheng. Links overlooked: Corporate environmental performance and urban quality of life in China’s emerging megacities. In Wang Wuyi, Thomas Krafft and Frauke Kraas (edts) Global Change, Urbanization and Health, China Meteorological Press ,2006. 165-176.
- (9) Xue Desheng. Migrant workers and their housing in the “world factory” of China-a case study of Liaobu Town, Pearl River Delta. In Yang Yongzhong edited, Modernization of Macau and Urban Planning. 107-128. Macau Research Center, University of Macau. 2007-4-19.
- (10) LI Zhigang, Laurence J. C. MA, and Desheng Xue. The making of a new transnational urban space:The Guangzhou African enclave, in Li Peilin and Laurence Roulleau-Berger edited, China’s Internal and International Migration, Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York :Routledge, 2013.
- a. Papers published in Chinese academic journals
- (1) Xue Desheng, Wang Baoling. The influence of Canadian Oversea Chinese to the local economic development of Renhe Township. THE OVERSEAS CHINESE, 1994 (1), 82-85.
- (2) Xue Desheng, Li Xun. The new hot sites of Guangzhou real estate, Real estate Timely, 1994,11:15
- (3) Xue Desheng. Grasp Opportunity-About the construction of PRD Metropolis Statistical Zone.Guangdong Development, 1995, 1:13-14.
- (4) Xue Desheng, Li Xun. An analysis on the location of residential area in Guangzhou City. TROPICAL GEOGRAPHY. 1995, 15(1), 56-61.
- (5) XUE Desheng, XU Xueqiang. Small town studies in China’s geography circle before liberation. HUMAN GEOGRAPHY. 1995, 10 (3):1-7.
- (6) Xue Desheng, Chen Wenjuan, Hou Qizhang. A critical of concepts of ‘rural urbanization’ and‘urban-rural integration’, Urban Question, 1998(1):14-16.
- (7) XUE Desheng, XU Xueqiang, CHEN Haoguang. Xiangzhen industrial development and its local economic influence in the Pearl River Delta – taking Beijiao Township, Shunde City as an example. HUMAN GEOGRAPHY. 1998, 13 (4):35-39.
- (8) Xue Desheng, Xu Xueqiang, Chen Haoguang. The production organization of the Township village owned industry and its development in the Pearl River Delta – case studies in three townships of Minle , Renhe and Beijiao. TROPICAL GEOGRAPHY. 1999, 19(1):11-17.
- (9) Xue Desheng. Gentrification research in Western Countries and its inspiration on China’s urban social pace research. PLANNERS. 1999, 15 (3):109-112.
- (10) CHEN Wenjuan, XUE Desheng. An analysis on development of high-tech sectors in Haizhu District, Guangzhou City. TROPICAL GEOGRAPHY. 1999, 19(4):289-299.
- (11) ZHEN Jing, XUE Desheng. ZHU Hong. Urban development parks in China: its historical process, theoretic background and life cycle. WORLD REGIONAL STUDIES. 2000，9 (2):79-86.
- (12) ZHU Hong, XUE Desheng. Urbanization in Guangdong Province and choice of its development model. TROPICAL GEOGRAPHY. 2001, 21 (1):17-21.
- (13) Xue Desheng, Zhu Hong, Wen Cunyang. A re-critical of concepts of ‘rural urbanization’ and ‘urban-rural integration’, Urban Question, 2001,3-6.
- (14) XUE Desheng, LI Chuan, CHEN Haoguang, XU Xueqiang. Spatial distribution of the township-villige owned industry in the Pearl River Delta – a case study in Beijiao Township, Shunde City. HUMAN GEOGRAPHY. 2001, 16 (3):31-56.
- (15) XUE Desheng, ZHEN Xin. Research on rural urbanization in China:origin, definition, progress and prospect. HUMAN GEOGRAPHY. 2001, 16(5):24-28.
- (16) Lin Xingliang, Xue Desheng. Urban system research and planning in our country-A comment on urban agglomeration in the PRD, Geographical research, 2001:14-18.
- (17) Wang Xueming, Ye Tong, Xue Desheng, et al. Urbanization in western areas of Canton,Guangdong Economy, 2001, 65, 9-12.
- (18) Wang Xueming, Ye Tong, Xue Desheng, et al. Urbanization in the north mountain areas of Canton, Guangdong Economy, 2002, 68, 22-26.
- (19) Lin Lin, Xue Desheng, Liao Jiangli. Study on the Pedestrian Passageway System in the Central district of Guangzhou City. PLANNERS. 2002, 18 (1):63-65.
- (20) ZHU Hong, XUE Desheng, CAO Xiaoshu, and SITU Shangji. Study on the Function of Government Officials in the Progress of Hainan Developing Frontier Culture. SCIENTIA GEOGRAPHICA SINICA. 2002, 22 (2):144-149.
- (21) Wang Xueming, Ye Tong, Xue Desheng, et al. A research of urbanization in the PRD, Guangdong Economy, 2002, 71, 23-26.
- (22) PAN Qiuling, XUE Desheng, CAO Xiaoshu. Study on the developmental orientation of Shaoguan City within the new world city system. HUMAN GEOGRAPHY. 2003, 18 (4):75-78．
- (23) TANG Lu, XUE Desheng; XU Xueqiang. A Review and Prospect of Research on Megalopolis since 1990s. URBAN PLANNING FORUM. 2003, 5 (147):1-5.
- (24) XIA An-tao, XU Xue-qiang, XUE De-sheng. A summary of the studies on the coordinated development of urban and rural areas in China. HUMAN GEOGRAPHY. 2003, 18 (5), 56-60.
- (25) LI Hai-dong, SITU Shang-ji, XUE De-sheng. The historical changes of the economic development of North Guangdong. TROPICAL GEOGRAPHY. 2003, 23 (4). 339-344.
- (26) CAO Xiao-shu, XUE De-sheng, YU Hao-ran. A study on image space of urban water recreation transport in Guangzhou. TROPICAL GEOGRAPHY. 2003, 23 (4), 359-361.
- (27) XUE De-sheng, Xiao Hong. The planning of small town in Canada: Contents, methods and governmental supporting system. URBAN PLANNING OVERSEAS. 2004, 19 (1), 21-23.
- (28) TANG Lu, XUE Desheng, XU Xueqiang. North American metropolitan planning and its enlightment on the Pearl River Delta. HUMAN GEOGRAPHY. 2004, 19 (1):66—70.
- (29) Yin Yanwei, Xue Desheng. Land use problem in contemporary urban construction, Ecological Economy, 2004 (4), 20-22.
- (30) Xue Desheng, Cao Fenglin. Elementary study on the sommunity planning in China. PLANNERS. 2004, 20 (5), 90-92.
- (31) CHENGYu-hong; XU Xue-qiang, XUE De-sheng. Evolution of industrial structure and the developmental diversity of the cities in space-time on the Pearl River Delta – a discussion on the changes of regional roles of Guangzhou and Shenzhen. AREAL RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT. 2004, 23 (3), 27-31, 36.
- (32) CAO Xiao-shu, ZHEN Feng, XUE De-sheng. Rational cognition of megapolis corridor and its governance and planning. HUMAN GEOGRAPHY. 2005, 20 (4), 1-4.
- (33) CAO Xiaoshu, XUE Desheng, YAN Xiaopei. A study on the urban accessibility of national trunk highway system in China. ACTA GEOGRAPHICA SINICA. 2005, 60 (6), 903-910.
- (34) TANG Lu, XUE Desheng, XU Xueqiang. Review and prospect: The research on the metropolitan area since 1990s. CITY PLANNING REVIEW. 2006 (1), 80-87.
- (35) XUE De-sheng, CAO Xiao-shu, CAO Feng-lin. Social areas of a resource-oriented large city in mountain area: classification, characteristics and influential factors—a case study of Shaoguan City, Guangdong Province. GEOGRAPHICAL RESEARCH. 2006, 25 (1), 141-150.
- (36) CAO Xiao-Shu; XUE De-Sheng, YAN Xiao-Pei. Development tendency of urban transport geography. SCIENTIA GEOGRAPHICA SINICA. 2006, 26 (1), 111-117.
- (37) YUAN Yuan, XU Xue-qiang, XUE De-sheng. A review of urban poverty in transitional China. HUMAN GEOGRAPHY. 2006, 21 (1), 93-99.
- (38) LIU Yi-yun; FAN Li-hua; XUE De-sheng. The land use and its systematic obstacles in small towns of export-oriented regions – a case study of Liaobu Town in Dongguan City. TROPICAL GEOGRAPHY. 2006, 26 (1), 51-55.
- (39) LIU Wang-bao, CAO Xiao-shu, XUE De-sheng. Progress and prospect of the research on urbanization in China since 1980. MODERN URBAN RESEARCH. 2006 (3), 28-33.
- (40) Mao Jiangxing, Xue Desheng. The world’s urbanization pattern and its inspiration on the Pearl River Delta. PLANNERS. 2006, 22 (5), 76-79.
- (41) YUAN Yuan, XUE De-sheng, XU Xue-qiang. The characteristics and spatial distribution of the registered urban poor in Guangzhou Metropolitan Area during the transitional period of economic system reform in China. TROPICAL GEOGRAPHY. 2006, 26 (3), 248-253.
- (42) XUE Desheng, YAN Xiaopei, ZHANG Chengzhi. Eco-industrial Park: basic theories, developing stages and competitive advantages. CITY PLANNING REVIEW. 2006 (8), 47-51.
- (43) Xue Desheng, Sun Liping, Li Zhigang. Internationalization and the level of internationalization of cities in Guangdong province, SCIENTIA GEOGRAPHICA SINICA, 2006, 26 (5), 520-528.
- (44) LI Zhi-gang, WU Fu-long, XUE Desheng. A review of sociospatial differentiation in ‚post-socialist’ cities. HUMAN GEOGRAPHY. 2006, 21 (5):1-5.
- (45) Xue Desheng, Chen Lie, Wang Zhihua. Review on Industrial Cluster Research in China: Understanding, Theorizing and Practicing, Economic Geography, 2006, 26 (6), 982-987.
- (46) Yin Xiaoying, Xue Desheng, Yan Xiaopei. Study on the Development Mechanism of the Informal Sector in the Urban Village: Case of Caiwuwei, Shenzhen, Economic Geography, 2006, 26 (6), 969-973.
- (47) LI Zhi-gang, XUE Desheng, Wei Lihua. Housing Mix in European and American Cities: Theories, Application and Implication. City Planning Review. 2007 (2):38-44.
- (48) YUAN Yuan, XU Xue-qiang, XUE De-sheng. Spatial Distribution, Evlolution and Driving Force of Norn-registered Population of Guangzhou Metropolitan Area in 1990-2000. Economic GEOGRAPHY. 2007, 27 (2), 250-255.
- (49) Yin Xiaoying, Yan Xiaopei, Xue Desheng. Analysis and Revelation of the Informal Sector Related Concepts, World Regional Studies, 2007, 16 (1), 21-26.
- (50) Yao Huasong, Xue Desheng, Xu Xueqiang. Progress in Urban Social Space Research, Modern Urban Research, 2007 (9), 74-81.
- (51) Yao Huasong, Xue Desheng, Xu Xueqiang. Progress of Western Studies on Urban Social Geography since 1990, Human Geography, 2007, 22 (3), 12-17.
- (52) CAO Xiaoshu, ZHANG Limin, XUE Desheng, WANG Dapeng. The Changes in Disparity if Urban Transportation Development Level Rank in China. ACTA GEOGRAPHICA SINICA. 2007, 62(10), 1034-1040.
- (53) LI Zhi-gang, XUE Desheng, Michael Lyons, Alison Brown. The African Enclave of Guangzhou:A Case Study of Xiaobeilu. ACTA GEOGRAPHICA SINICA. 2008, 63(2), 207-218.
- (54) YUAN Yuan, XU Xue-qiang, XUE De-sheng. Spatial types and differentiation mechanism of new urban poverty of Guangzhou City in transitional China. Geographical Research. 2008, 27 (3), 672-682.
- (55) Yao Huasong, Xue Desheng, Xu Xueqiang. Analysis on the characteristics and spatial difference of floating population in Guangzhou, Tropical Geography, 2008,28 (3), 259-264.
- (56) Yao Huasong, Xue Desheng, Xu Xueqiang, Research about floating pupulation, Urban Questions, 2008(6), 155, 69-76.
- (57) Zhao Jing, Xue Desheng, Yan Xiaopei. Progress and assessment of the research about informal Settlement in Western Countries , Urban Questions, 2008(7), 156, 86-91.
- (58) Xue Desheng, Huang Gengzh, GEOGRAPHICAL RESEARCH. 2008, 27，1390-1398.
- (59) Zhao Jing, Xue Desheng, Yan Xiaopei. Models of informal settlements upgrading abroad and implications for China, PLANNERS, 2009, 25 (1), 80-84.
- (60) Yin Xiaoying, Yan Xiaopei, Xue Desheng. The informal sector in urban village and urban village transformation in rapid urbanization region: Case study of Caiwuwei and Yumincun of Shenzhen City, MODERN URBAN RESEARCH, 2009 (4), 44-53.
- (61) Li Zhigang, Xue Desheng, Du Feng, Zhu Ying. The local response of transnational social space under globalization in urban China: A case study of African enclave in Guangzhou GEOGRAPHICAL RESEARCH, 2009，28，920-932.
- (62) Yao Huasong, Xu Xueqiang, Xue Desheng. Analysis on the background and characteristics of floating population in Guangzhou, Tropical Geography, 2009,29 (4), 350-355.
- (63) Huang Gengzhi, Xue Desheng. Review of informal employment research in urban China, Tropical Geography, 2009,29 (4), 389-393.
- (64) Xue Desheng, Cai Jingshan, Lizhigang. Health care behavior and its spatial characteristics of floating workers in urban villages of Guangzhou City: Case study in Xinfenghuang Village, GEOGRAPHICAL RESEARCH, 2009, 28，1341-1351.
- (65) Yanhan X, Desheng X*. A REVIEW OF FEMALE INFORMAL EMPLOYMENT [J]. HUMAN GEOGRAPHY, 2009, 24(6):16-23.
- (66) Yao Huasong, Xu Xueqiang, Xue Desheng. Spatial distribution and evolutive laws of floating population in Guangzhou, Economic Geography, 2010,30 (1), 40-46.
- (67) Xie Yanhan, Huang Gengzhi, Xue Desheng*. Female informal employee’s behavior spatial structures in different sectors:differences and effects, Human Geography, 2010, 25 (6), 25-29.
- (68) Yao Huasong, Xu Xueqiang, Xue Desheng. Rethinking the space in the studies of human geography, Human Geography, 2010,25 (1), 8-12.
- (69) Yin Xiaoying, Yan Xiaopei, Xue Desheng. Review on the governmental policies in China and the Western countries, Urban Questions, 2010(8), 156, 79-84.
- (70) Xue Desheng, Lin Tin, Frauke Kraas, Pamila Killian. Informal job seeking agencies and their role in the ‘World Factory’ of the Pearl River Delta: A case study in Tangxia Township Dongguan City Guangdong Province, GEOGRAPHICAL RESEARCH.2010,29  ,17931-1801.
- (71) Xue Desheng, Huang Gengzhi, Weng Xiaoli, Lin Tao. Urban globalization process of China’s cities since the early 1980s, ACTA GEOGRAPHICA SINICA. 2010, 65(10), 1155-1162.
- (72) Huang Gengzhi, Xue Desheng, Dietrich Soyez. Global Image Making:Marketing Strategies of Megaproject-Hafencity in Hamburg. International Urban Planning, 2011，26，72-76.
- (73) HUANG Gengzhi, XUE Desheng. Theoretical Schools of Foreign Informal Sector Researches. Urban Problems, 2011(5):850-90.
- (74) HUANG Gengzhi, XUE Desheng*, XIE Yanhan. Role of the Informal Employment, A Way of Human Capital Accumulation for Female Labors: A Case Study of Tea Ceremony Sector in Fangcun Tea Market in Guangzhou. Geographical Research, 2011(4):699-708.
- (75) HUANG Gengzhi, XUE Desheng*. Discipline and Anti-discipline:Spatial Politics of Urban Street Vending in Guangzhou since the 1990s.Acta Geographical Sinica, 2011, 66(8):1063-1075.
- (76) MEI Lin, XUE Desheng*. From Ex-capital to International City: the Urban Transformation and Revelation of Bonn. World Geography Studies. 2011(4)，57-66.
- (77) CHEN Kunlun, WU Dafang, XUE Desheng*. Review of Western Research on Urban Environmental Issues Based on Urban Geography Perspective. Tropical Geography, 98-106.
- (78) MEI Lin, SU Nian, XUE Desheng*. Research on Temporal-Spatial Process and Dyanamics of Transnational Institutions in Guangzhou. Human Geography. 2012 (1)，66-71.
- (79) PANG Yuqi, XUE Desheng, WANG De. The Distribution and Spatial Impact Factors of Street Hawker–A Case Study of Street Hawers on West Zhongshan Road. Human Geography, 2012, 27(2):56-61.
- (80) CHEN Kun-lun, XUE De-sheng*, WANG Xu. Relationship Between Human Activities and Urban Environmental Change along Rivers/Brroks during Rapid Urbanization-A Case Study of Wuyanqiao Brook Area in Guangzhou City. Human Geography, 2012, 27(2):67-72.
- (81) HUANG Gengzhi, LI Tianjiao, XUE Desheng*. Inclusiveness or Exclusiveness? Vendor space effecs and planning in Guangzhou City. Planners, 2012 ，78-83.
- (82) Xue Desheng, Dietrich Soyez, LI Junfu, LI Zhigang*. The social housing support system in Germany:experiences and lessons. International Urban Planning, 2012, 27，23-27.
- (83) LI Junfu, LI Wei, LI Zhigang, Xue Desheng*. Research on the policy of affordable housing in Singapore and its inspirations. International Urban Planning, 2012，27，36-42.
- (84) Mei Lin, Xue Desheng*. Review on Transnational Institutions in World Cities: A Geographical Perspective[J]. PROGRESS IN GEOGRAPHY, 2012, 31(10):1264-1273.
- (85) Zheng Yingyin, Xue Desheng , Liu Yiyun. The Study of the Relations between Intensive Land-Use and Land-Price:The Case Study of Commercial Sites in Tianhe District, Guangzhou [J]. GUANGDONG LAND SCIENCE, 2012, 11(5):32-38.
- (86) Chen Kunlun, Wang Xu,Li Dan, Xue Desheng*. The Morphological Evolution of River and Water Body in Urban Area of Guangzhou City in 1990-2010[J]. SCIENTIA GEOGRAPHICA SINICA, 2013, 33(2):223-230.
- (87) Li Wei, Xue Desheng*. Banking Reform and Location Strategy of Local Banks in the New Century ——in Comparison with National Banks[J]. TROPICAL GEOGRAPHY, 2013, 33(4):420-428.
- (88) Huang Gengzhi, Xue Desheng*. Mechanism of industrial relocation triggered by environmental pressures [J]. Highlights of Science Paper Online, 2013, 6(21):2076-2082.
- (89) Xue Desheng, Huang Hemian. Two debates and two trends: Review on world city research [J]. PROGRESS IN GEOGRAPHY, 2013, 32(8):1177-1186.
- (90) Huang Gengzhi, Wu Yiran, Xue Desheng*. The studies of urban street vendors’ significance and spatio-temporal characteristics [J]. Hightlights of Sciencepaper Online, www.paper.edu.cn/releasepaper/content/201312-988
- (91) Huang GengZhi, Xu KongDan, Xue DeSheng*. THE SPATIAL INCLUSION OF STREET-VENDING AND INFLUENCE FACTORS OF ITS EFFECT IN GUANGZHOU:A CASE STUDY OF LIJIAO[J]. HUMAN GROGRAPHY, 2013, 28(6):74-79.
- (92) Mei Lin, Xue Desheng*, KRAAS F. Urban internationalization under joint actions of transnational institutions and locals: The case study of Bonn, Germany [J]. ACTA GEOGRAPHICA SINICA, 2014, 69(2):156-168.
- (93) Lin Xiaoshu, Wang Li, Xue Desheng*. A STUDY OF THE COUNTY -LEVEL URBANIZATION AND ITS DIFFERENTIATION IN JIANGXI PROVINCE [J]. HUMAN GEOGRAPHY, 2014, 29(3):89-94.
- (94) Xue Desheng, Wang Li. Progress of urban geography research in China since the 1980s [J]. ACTA GEOGRAPHICA SINICA, 2014, 69(8):1117-1129.
- (95) Xue Desheng, Lin Tao, Huang Gengzhi. The development of informal sectors in the external-oriented manufacturing sector in PRD, China: A case study of leather industry in Shiling Town, Guangzhou[J]. GEOGRAPHICAL RESEARCH, 2014, 33(4):698-709.
- (96) Xue Desheng, Huang Hemian, Wang Yang. Spatial Transformation in Globalization:A Case Study of Dongshan, Guangzhou in 1890s-1930s[J]. SCIENTIA GEOGRAPHICA SINICA, 2014, 34(6):667-695.
- (97) Huang Hemian, Zhu Hong, Xue Desheng. Review of the Study on Cultural Dynamics of World Cities[J]. TROPICAL GEOGRAPHY, 2014, 34(3):319-326.
- (98) Su Nian, Xue Desheng*. The Global Connectivity of China and Japan with Respect to International Inter-Governmental Organizations [J]. TROPICAL GEOGRAPHY, 2014, 34(6):814-822.
- (99) Zou Xiaohua, Xue Desheng*, Huang Yingmin. (2015). Hierarchical, networked, and regional trends:A research based on the spatial distribution of law firms of city system in China. Journal of South China Normal University (Natural Science Edition), 47(2):134-142.
- (100) Xue Desheng, Zeng Xianjun. Evaluation of China’s urbanization quality and analysis of its spatial pattern transformation based on the modern life index [J]. ACTA GEOGRAPHICA SINICA, 2016, 71(2): 194-204.
- (101) Huang Gengzhi, Xue Desheng, Jin Lixia. Micro-location decision making of urban street vendors: Evidence from interviews with 200 vendors in Guangzhou [J]. Human Geography, 2016, 31(1): 57-64.
Papers from Chinese academic books
- (1) Xu Xueqiang, Xue Desheng. Urban development, Planning and Education in the post-reform era of our country: A review, Chinese Economic Reform and Urban: Development, Planning and Education, 1994:3-15.
- (2) Yan XiaoPei, Xue Desheng. Economic reform and urban planning education: Problem, reform and measures, Chinese Economic Reform and Urban:Development, Planning and Education,1994:183-186.
- (3) Yan Xiaopei, Xue Desheng, Xu Xueqiang. Rural urbanization in the PRD. In Rural Urbanization Research, 1998:328-353, Nanjing University Press, Nanjing.
- (4) Xue Desheng. The organization and industrial development of town-village enterprises in the PRD-A case study of Ming Le, Ren He and Beijiao in Chinese villages-urban transition and harmonious development, 1998,158-167.
- (5) Wang Xueming, Yi Tong, Xue Desheng, Miao Leilei. Push forward the urbanization of Guangdong province across regions, in Guangdong Construction Office, Guangdong government development research center (edt), New thoughts on urbanization-Guangdong urbanization route in the new century, Qinghai People’s Press, 2002．10－16.
- (6) Yuan Yuan, Xu Xueqiang, Xue Desheng. Glocalization of Chinese urban planning education, in Xu Xueqiang, Anthony Yeh, Lin Lin (edt), Urban development and planning education in China under globalization, Chinese Architecture and Industry Press, 2006, March, 206-214.
- (7) Xue Desheng, Wang Li, Zou Xiaohua. The internal spatial differences of the development of “World Factories” in PRD—Analyses based on towns in Dongguan city. Annual Report on Urban Development of China (2012), China City Press. 324-334.
- (8) Xue Desheng, Huang Hemian, Li Wei. Report of research on advanced model cities for the development of Guangzhou. Annual Report on Urban Construction and Management of Guangzhou in China (2013). Social Sciences Academic Press (China) 108-116.
- (1) YAN Xiaopei and XUE Desheng (ed). Urban Development, Planning and Governance in Globalization. SunYat-Sen Universwity Press. 2007:Guangzhou.
- (1) Liang Shaoling, XUE De-sheng. Strategic Planning of Shaoguan Urban Development. . Zhongshan University Press. 2003: Guangzhou.
- (2) XUE Desheng, Dietrich Soyez, Liu Yungang, ZhouSuhong, Yuan Yuan (eds.). Chinese Students’ Excursions in Germany. China’s Review Academic Press, 2008:Guangzhou.
- Member of academic committee of Sun Yat-sen University
- Member of academic degrees committee of Sun Yat-sen University
- Director of Center for Urban and Regional Studies of Sun Yat-sen University
- Academic Organization
- Member of Steering Committee, Megacity Commission, International Geographical Union (2012-).
- Member of Scientific Steering Committee, Urbanization and Global Environmental Change (UGEC), International Human Dimensions Program on Global Environmental Change (2007-2012).
- Member of the Steering Group of the Key topic “Megacities-Our Global Urban Future” in the International Year of Planet Earth (IYPE), United Nations (2008).
- Vice Chairman of Chinese Geographical Society
- Member of 3th and 4th Chinese Urban Planning Society.
- Leader of urbanization working group of China National Commission of International Human Dimension Program (IHDP) on Global Environmental Change. 2007-2011
- Deputy director, Commission of Human Geography, Chinese Geographical Society (2006-).
- Member of the 11th ,12th, and 14th Evaluation Commission, Geo-sciences group, China’s National natural Science Foundation.
- Vice Chairman of Guangdong Province Geographical Society (2009-2015)
- Editorial member of Acta Geographica Sinica (2015-)
- Editorial member of Chinese Geographical Science (English) (2009-)
- Editorial member of Human Geography ( Chinese) (2010-)
- Editorial member of Tropical Geography (Chinese) (2008-）
- Editorial member of Chinese Geographical Science (English) (2008-)
- Research fellow of Center of Development Studies of the government of Guangdong Province.
- Counselor of the government of Shaoguan city, Guangdong Province.
Other Higher Institutions
- Visiting Professor of South China Normal University (2010-)
- Visiting Professor of Jinan University (2011-)
- Certified City Planner of China